What to Wear
TIPS FOR FAMILIES
1. Start with mama! I always suggest mom wears a dress or skirt with lots of movement and flow. We all have those slight insecurities that we prefer to hide and maxi dresses flatter ANY and ALL body types. I urge you to step outside of your comfort zone and dress up. You will look beautiful, I promise!
If you absolutely hate dresses and skirts with a passion, you can also wear skinny jeans, boots, and a simple tank with a fun colored sweater on top. Another option is black or colored pants or leggings with a long flowy top.
2. Coordinate your outfits by finding a color palette you love and finding pieces that complement one another. You want to focus on coordination not matching. Coordinating means you need to bring in different elements and pieces to make it all flow together.
3. Layer and add accessories with a hat, headbands, necklace, jacket, suspenders, or vests.
4. Wear clothes that are fashionable, yet still functional for the location. Keep in mind we will be moving around.
5. When it comes to patterns, a good rule of thumb is have one or two patterned outfit for every three people included in the session. Floral prints, polka dots, plaids work great.
6. Shoes are important! You'll want them to be comfortable as we move around, but shoes can throw off a whole photo. Think about boots, converse, Mary-janes, flats, moccasins, Toms, and solid colored shoes. If all else fails barefoot is always an option.
7. Avoid florescent colors, large visible logos, and character shirts/shoes.
If you are like me and need visuals, check out my client style guide pinterest board for great examples.
Favorite Stores For Mom:
1. Vici (This is where I purchased my own dress for family photos!)
3. Forever 21
4. Free People
Favorite Stores for Kids:
3. Old Navy
8. Rainey’s Closet (Rentals)